Easy Smashed Potatoes
Leave the skins on to make smashed potatoes - fluffy on the inside and crispy on the outside.
Don’t lose track while you’re cooking, click on an ingredient or step to tick it off so you know where you are up to.
- 1 kilogram potatoes
- 1 tablespoon salt
- 4 tablespoons olive oil, divided
- Black pepper, to taste
- 2 tablespoons chopped fresh green herbs (optional)
Print This Recipe
- Scrub the potatoes clean. Cut off any parts where the potato has begun to sprout.
- Place the potatoes in a pot and fill with water until just covered.
- Add 1 tablespoon of salt.
- Bring the mixture to a boil over medium-high heat and cook until the potatoes are soft (about 20 minutes).
- While the potatoes cook, preheat the oven to 180 degrees celsius and drizzle or brush 1 tablespoon of the olive oil over a large baking sheet.
- When the potatoes are cooked, drain them in a large colander.
- Flatten the cooked potatoes using the back of a fork or a potato masher and arrange in a single layer on the lined baking tray. The thinner they are, the crispier they’ll be.
- Drizzle the remaining 3 tablespoons of olive oil over the smashed potatoes. Sprinkle with salt and pepper.
- Bake for 20-25 minutes or until golden brown.
- Serve on its own as a snack or side or with your favourite sauce.
Search for a recipe
Commonly wasted ingredients