Who is rescuing food in NZ?
Food rescue organisations and hundreds of volunteers put in a lot of continual mahi to reduce food waste in New Zealand by collecting surplus fresh food and giving to those in need. When Love Food Hate Waste first began in 2016 there were only 7 towns with fresh food rescue now there are over 20! Donations of tinned or dried goods is possible in most towns in New Zealand with donation boxes at Countdown Supermarkets.
Aotearoa Food Rescue Alliance (AFRA) supports the food rescue sector in Aotearoa, New Zealand to prevent food waste and nourish communities.They have produced this great wee video which explains how food rescued works.
Click here for an interactive map to find your local food rescue group to support, or click the image below.
Image credit: AFRA
Find a community food organisation, Kore Hiakai
If you have excess fruit that you would like picked and shared to those in need, contact Community Fruit Harvesting.
A list of Food Rescue Groups in NZ
- Food Rescue Northland
- Warkworth Christian Foodlink
- Love Soup (Hibiscus Coast)
- Fair Food (West Auckland)
- Kai Ika (South Auckland)
- KiwiHarvest (Auckland)
- Kaivolution (Hamilton and Cambridge)
- Good Neighbour (Tauranga)
- Waste Not Want Not (Whakatane)
- Halo Charitable Trust (Taupo, Tokoroa, Levin)
- Gizzy Kai Rescue (Gisborne)
- Nourished For Nil (Hastings)
- Kiwi Harvest (Hastings)
- On The House (New Plymouth)
- Just Zilch (Palmerston North)
- Te Awahou Kai (Foxton)
- The Food Basket (Waipukurau)
- Kaibosh (Wellington)
- The Free Store (Wellington)
- Kiwi Community Assistance (Khandallah to Porirua)
- Waiwaste Food Rescue (Masterton)
- Kai Rescue (Nelson)
- Kai with Love (Richmond)
- 0800 Hungry (Christchurch)
- City Harvest Food Rescue Canterbury (Christchurch)
- Kairos Food Rescue (Christchurch)
- Foodbank Canterbury (Christchurch)
- Satisfy Food Rescue (North Canterbury)
- KiwiHarvest (Dunedin)
- KiwiHarvest Queenstown
- Kiwiharvest (Invercargill)