Bacon Bread Cases with Raw Energy Slaw
These bacon bread cases are easy to make and can be eaten for breakfast, lunch, dinner or a snack. They're also the cover recipe from the Autumn edition of Easy Choice.
Don’t lose track while you’re cooking, click on an ingredient or step to tick it off so you know where you are up to.
- 12 slices wholemeal bread
- 1 tablespoon oil
- 1 onion, finely chopped
- 2 garlic cloves, finely chopped or 1 teaspoon crushed garlic
- 200g middle bacon, chopped
- 1 cup frozen mixed vegetables
- 1 can creamed corn
- 3 eggs, lightly beaten
- salt and pepper
- ½ cup cheese, grated
- 2 carrots, grated
- 1 beetroot, grated
- ½ cup raisins (optional)
- 4 tablespoons sunflower seeds (optional)
- ½ teaspoon salt
- pepper, to taste
- 1 tablespoon oil
- 2 tablespoons balsamic vinegar or lemon juice
Print This Recipe
- Preheat the oven to 180°C. Grease 12 medium-size muffin cups. If you don’t have muffin trays, read the tip at the bottom for how else you can make this.
- Roll the bread out gently with a rolling pin (or glass bottle), then press the slices carefully into the muffin tray to form cups.
- Bake the bread cases for about 10 to 15 minutes in the oven until they are starting to go crispy.
- While the bread is baking, heat the oil in a frying pan over a medium heat.
- Add the onion and cook for five minutes or until the onion is soft and clear.
- Turn up the heat on the frying pan and then add the garlic and bacon and fry until the bacon is cooked.
- Add the frozen mixed vegetables to the pan and cook for five minutes until the frozen vegetables have thawed. Make sure to stir well.
- Tip the bacon mixture into a bowl. Add the creamed corn and beaten eggs. Season with salt and pepper and mix well.
- Spoon the mixture into the bread cases, filling them with as much mixture as possible. Sprinkle over the grated cheese.
- Bake the bread cases in the oven for 20 – 30 minutes until the mixture is set and the cheese has melted.
- While the cases are baking, make the raw energy slaw by combining the grated carrots, beetroot, raisins, sunflower seeds, salt, pepper, oil and vinegar or lemon juice in a bowl. Mix well to combine.
- Serve the bread cases with a side of raw energy slaw.
Search for a recipe
Commonly wasted ingredients