Easy Peel Muffins
These easy peel muffins use banana and orange peels. Give them a go - you will be surprised how good they taste.
Don’t lose track while you’re cooking, click on an ingredient or step to tick it off so you know where you are up to.
- 2 banana peels, hard ends removed
- peel from 2 oranges (or other citrus fruit)
- 2 cups self-raising flour
- ½ teaspoon baking powder
- 1 cup sugar
- 1 teaspoon mixed spice
- ½ teaspoon cinnamon
- ½ cup walnuts, chopped
- 100g butter, melted
- 1 cup milk
- 1 egg lightly beaten
- 1 cup icing sugar
- a dash of vanilla essence or orange juice
- a drop of milk or water – just enough to make a spreadable consistency
Print This Recipe
- Preheat the oven to 200°C. Line a 12 cup muffin pan with muffin cases or grease well with butter if making zero waste muffins.
- Rinse skins and peels well, place in a microwave safe bowl with ¼ cup water. Cover and cook on full power for 7 minutes. Drain and blitz in a processor till finely ground.
- In a mixing bowl combine flour, baking powder, sugar, spices and nuts. In another bowl combine the melted butter, milk, egg and the cooked peel. Mix lightly then pour into the dry mixture.
- Mix until just blended and spoon into prepared cases.
- Bake 20-25 minutes until risen and springy.
- To make the glaze combine the icing sugar, essence or juice, and milk or water and drizzle onto each muffin.
Search for a recipe
Commonly wasted ingredients