Potato Layer Bake
You can use potatoes or kumara in this hearty meal that the family will love.
Don’t lose track while you’re cooking, click on an ingredient or step to tick it off so you know where you are up to.
- 2 ½ tablespoon oil
- 500g mince
- 1 medium onion, finely chopped
- 3 cups chopped vegetables –try mushrooms, grated carrot and zucchini
- 1 vegetable stock cube
- 3 tablespoons tomato paste
- 3 cloves garlic,
- 2 teaspoons dried oregano
- 6 medium potatoes (or kumara), cooked (approx 700gm)
- ½ – 2 cups grated cheese
- Salt and pepper
Print This Recipe
- Heat oven to 180°c
- Heat 2 tablespoons of oil in fry pan over a medium heat. Brown the onion, then add the mince.
- Once the mince is brown add the vegetables, cooking for a few minutes until they are soft.
- Add the tomato paste, stock cube, garlic, oregano, salt and pepper to taste. Mix well.
- Grease the base of a large oven dish.
- Slice the potatoes – you will need a layer of thick slices for the base and then thinner slices for the middle two layers.
- Place a layer of potatoes in the dish and sprinkle with grated cheese. Then spread one-third of the mince mixture over the potatoes. Repeat for the second layer.
- For the third layer place potatoes then mince then top with grated cheese.
- Cover with tinfoil and bake for 30 minutes, then remove the tinfoil and bake for an additional 10-15 minutes until the cheese is golden.
Search for a recipe
Commonly wasted ingredients