Chocky Bready Muffins
Turn your kid's uneaten bread crusts into these chocky bready muffins - they're perfect for the lunchbox or a quick dessert.
Don’t lose track while you’re cooking, click on an ingredient or step to tick it off so you know where you are up to.
- 7 cups of bread crusts
- 1/2 cup milk
- 300ml cream, heated (or milk)
- 4 eggs
- 100g butter, softened
- 3/4 cup white sugar
- 2 teaspoons vanilla
- 1/3 cup flour
- 1 tablespoon baking powder
- 1/8 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon cinnamon or nutmeg
- 1/2 cup chocolate chips
- 1/2 cup fresh or dried fruit (optional)
- icing sugar, to serve
Print This Recipe
- Preheat oven to 180°C and line, or lightly grease medium sized muffin tins.
- Cut crusts into 1-2 cm chunks. Measure 3 cups of crusts and mix with milk, soak for 2-3 minutes and mush with the back of a fork.
- In a separate bowl mix together cream, eggs, butter, sugar and vanilla. Combine well and add to the soaking bread crusts.
- Add sifted flour, baking powder, salt, cinnamon, chocolate chips and fruit (if using). Mix well.
- Finally add remaining 4 cups of bread crusts and fold quickly until well coated.
- Spoon into muffin tins and top generously for a high mound on each.
- Bake for 25-30 minutes until golden brown. Check to ensure the bread tops are crunchy but don’t burn.
- Cool, sprinkle with icing sugar.
Search for a recipe
Commonly wasted ingredients