Impress your friends (and yourself) with these broccoli empanadas.
Don’t lose track while you’re cooking, click on an ingredient or step to tick it off so you know where you are up to.
- 1/3 cup butter
- 1/3 cup vegetable oil
- 1/3 cup water
- 1 ¼ cup plain flour
- 2 large broccoli stalks peeled and then grated (approx 1 1/2 cups) or 1 ½ cup broccoli florets, roughly chopped
- 1/4 cup parmesan, grated
- 200g ricotta cheese
- ¼ teaspoon salt
- Cracked pepper
- 1 teaspoon curry powder or sweet chilli sauce or your favourite spice mix (optional)
- 1 egg, beaten
Print This Recipe
- Melt the butter.
- Combine the butter, oil and water in a bowl and briefly mix.
- Mix in the flour using a wooden spoon until the mixture comes together to form a dough.
- Lightly knead the dough until it is smooth. The dough will feel oily, this is expected.
- Wrap the dough in cling wrap and place it in the fridge for 1 hour to rest and firm up.
- To make the filling, mix the broccoli, parmesan, ricotta, salt, pepper and spice in a bowl until combined.
- Pre-heat the oven to 180⁰C.
- Roll out the dough on a lightly floured surface to 5mm thick.
- Cut round shapes using a 10cm cookie cutter or a small bowl.
- Spoon about 1 tablespoon of the filing into the centre of each round, lightly press down to remove any air in the filling.
- Lightly brush the edges with water, fold over the filling, then crimp the edges using a fork or your fingers to seal.
- Place on baking trays and brush with the beaten egg.
- Bake for 25 minutes until golden brown.
Search for a recipe
Commonly wasted ingredients