Sweetcorn Croquettes with Apple Slaw
These delicious sweetcorn croquettes make the perfect summer meal. You can add any leftover Christmas ham.
Don’t lose track while you’re cooking, click on an ingredient or step to tick it off so you know where you are up to.
- 400g canned sweetcorn, drained or corn kernels cut from 3 cooked cobs of corn
- 3 large potatoes, peeled and diced (or the equivalent in cooked or mashed potatoes)
- 2 tablespoons milk (warm)
- Salt and freshly ground black pepper
- 1 onion, diced
- 4 bacon strips, rind removed, diced or 200g ham
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1/2 cup cheese, grated
- 2 eggs, lightly beaten
- 1 cup stuffing mix or seasoned breadcrumbs
- 250ml canola oil
- 1/4 cup mayonnaise
- 1/4 white cabbage, sliced thinly
- 1 small carrot, grated
- 1 apple, cored and sliced thinly
Print This Recipe
- Put potatoes into a saucepan with salted water, bring to a boil, reduce to a simmer and cook until tender. When cooked, drain well, mash, add the milk, season and place in a large bowl.
- In a fry pan, gently sauté the onion in the oil until soft and translucent. Increase the heat, add the bacon and fry until the bacon is cooked through.
- Add the corn kernels, onion, bacon and grated cheese to the mashed potato. Season and mix well.
- Divide the mixture into eight and with wet hands mould into thick sausage shapes.
- Place the egg and stuffing mix in separate shallow dishes, with a lip. One at a time, dip the croquettes in the egg then roll in the stuffing mix to coat.
- Pour your oil into a frying pan and heat to a medium heat. Cook the croquettes, in batches turning so they are golden brown and crunchy.
- To make the apple slaw, mix the mayonnaise, cabbage, carrot and apple together. Chill until ready to serve.
Search for a recipe
Commonly wasted ingredients