Vege stalk and kumara curry
Don't throw away your broccoli or cauliflower stalks! Use them to make a tasty curry instead
Don’t lose track while you’re cooking, click on an ingredient or step to tick it off so you know where you are up to.
- 500g kumara peeled and chopped in chunks
- 2- 3 vege stalks, cauliflower, broccoli– include washed leaves and stems if you have them, finely chopped or blitzed in a food processor
- ½ tablespoon oil
- 1 onion, chopped
- 2 cloves garlic, crushed
- 1 tablespoon fresh ginger
- 1 tablespoon lemon grass, finely chopped or use lemongrass paste (optional)
- 3 tablespoons red curry paste
- 1 can coconut milk
- 2 tablespoons soy sauce
- 1 tablespoon tomato paste
- 1/4 cup crunchy peanut butter
- ½ tablespoon brown sugar
- 2-3 cups cooked chicken, shredded – (optional)
- Coriander, peanuts and rice to serve
Print This Recipe
- Place the vegetable stems in a microwave container with a splash of water and microwave on full power for 4 minutes.
- In a large frying pan heat the oil.
- Add the onion, garlic, ginger, lemongrass and curry paste.
- Cook for 2-3 minutes then add drained stalks and stems.
- Pour in coconut milk, add kumara, soy sauce, tomato paste and peanut butter.
- Cover and simmer till veg is tender.
- Add sugar to taste, stir in chicken if using and heat through.
- Serve with rice, sprinkled with coriander and peanuts.
Search for a recipe
Commonly wasted ingredients