Banana Peel Cake
Don't throw away your banana peels, they are the secret ingredient in this cake.
Don’t lose track while you’re cooking, click on an ingredient or step to tick it off so you know where you are up to.
- 6 banana peels (brown ones are fine)
- 1/2 cup water
- 4 eggs, separated
- 2 ½ cups white sugar
- 3 cups plain flour
- 75g butter
- 2 tablespoons baking powder
Print This Recipe
- Preheat oven to 190°C
- Grease a 20cm cake tin
- Put the banana peels and half a cup of water into a blender or food processor. Blend them until they turn into a smooth, dark brown, aromatic mush. Set aside.
- Beat the butter, yolks, and sugar in a mixing bowl until it is all combined —it should have the consistency of fluffy scrambled eggs.
- Add the banana peels, the flour, and the baking powder, and mix well.
- Whisk the egg whites until frothy, and gently fold into the mixture, careful to preserve the air
- Pour into a cake pan. Bake for about 45 minutes, or until the cake passes the toothpick test.
Search for a recipe
Commonly wasted ingredients