This unique carrot cake recipe uses cooked carrots instead of raw carrots. Give it a go next time you have leftover cooked carrots.
Don’t lose track while you’re cooking, click on an ingredient or step to tick it off so you know where you are up to.
- 1 3/4 cups self raising flour
- ½ teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- ½ teaspoon baking soda
- 4 eggs
- 1 ¼ cups soft brown sugar
- 1 cup cooked carrot, pureed or finely chopped
- ½ cup crushed pineapple
- ¾ cup walnuts, roughly chopped
- 1 cup desiccated coconut
- 1/2 cup neutral oil (eg rice bran, sunflower)
- 75g cream cheese or cottage cheese
- 1 teaspoon vanilla essence
- 1 1/2 cups icing sugar
Print This Recipe
- Preheat the oven to 180°c. Grease and line a 20cm round cake tin.
- Sieve the flour, salt, cinnamon and baking soda into a large bowl.
- Whisk together the eggs with the sugar, vanilla essence, carrot, pineapple, walnuts, coconut and oil.
- Pour the wet ingredients into the flour, mix well until evenly combined.
- Spoon the mixture into the prepared tin and bake for 40-50 minutes or until golden brown. Cool in the tin before turning out.
- For the topping, beat together the cream cheese or cottage cheese with the vanilla essence and icing sugar until smooth. Spoon the icing onto the top of the cake and spread with a knife.
Search for a recipe
Commonly wasted ingredients