Hearty Beef Pie
Mince pie is a Kiwi classic and this recipe allows you to use either mince or shredded roast beef. Add a sprinkle of cheese to make it a mince and cheese pie.
Don’t lose track while you’re cooking, click on an ingredient or step to tick it off so you know where you are up to.
- 1 tablespoon extra virgin olive oil
- 450g mushrooms, chopped
- 2 tablespoons rosemary
- 2 onions, diced
- 450g beef mince (or shredded roast beef)
- 1 carrot, finely diced
- 2 tablespoons cornflour
- 1 ¼ cup beef stock
- ¼ cup red wine
- 2 tablespoons tomato paste
- 1 sheet puff pastry
Print This Recipe
- Preheat oven to 180ºC.
- Heat half of the oil in a large saucepan and cook mushrooms and rosemary, stirring for 3-4 minutes or until browned. Transfer to a plate and set aside.
- Heat remaining oil in the same large saucepan over medium heat and cook the onion for 5 minutes or until softened. Add mince and carrot and cook stirring for 4 minutes or until browned.
- In a small bowl, whisk cornflour and 150ml of stock until smooth. Add remaining stock, red wine and tomato paste and mix until well combined.
- Add the mushrooms and stock mixture to the pan and cook simmering for 4-5 minutes or until thickened and evaporated.
- Fill a 20cm pie dish with the mince mixture and top with puff pastry, pressing the edges well to seal. Cut a slit in the top of the pie to allow steam to escape
- Bake for 40 minutes or until pastry is golden. Serve with vegetables or salad.
Search for a recipe
Commonly wasted ingredients