Turn your cabbage into this simple and versatile Japanese savoury pancake. Make it your own by topping it with your favourite toppings.
Don’t lose track while you’re cooking, click on an ingredient or step to tick it off so you know where you are up to.
- 1 cup flour
- 1 cup water or liquid stock
- 2 eggs
- ¼ teaspoon salt
- 2 packed cups cabbage, finely sliced
- 2 spring onions, finely sliced
- 2 tablespoons oil
- Toppings (optional)
– Sweet chill
– Green part of the spring onion
Print This Recipe
- Measure the flour, water or stock, eggs, and salt in a bowl and mix together using a whisk or wooden spoon until there are no large lumps.
- Mix through the sliced cabbage and white part of the spring onion, reserving the green parts for the topping, if desired – using the whole spring onion in the batter will work too.
- Heat a large 28cm frying pan on medium-high heat, add the oil and swirl to coat the pan.
- Add in all of the pancake cabbage batter and spread it evenly across the pan.
- Turn the heat down to medium and let it fry for about 5-8 minutes before flipping, occasionally check the bottom of the pancake to make sure it is not browning too quickly – lower the heat if it is.
- Flip the pancake once the top looks set, then lower the heat to low and cook for another 3-5 minutes until it is golden.
- Top with your desired toppings and serve warm.
Search for a recipe
Commonly wasted ingredients