Why you should collect the New World PODs
Wouldn’t it be great to be able to make your food last longer so you didn’t have to throw it away?
Imagine leftovers that stay as fresh as the day they were cooked, avocados that are still green two days after you cut them in half and biscuits that don’t go stale once the packet is open.
Well now those things can become a reality thanks to New World PODs – storage containers designed specifically to make your food last longer.
These PODs are a new weapon in the battle against food waste in New Zealand. The average New Zealand family throws away three shopping trolleys of edible food every year which is damaging to their wallets and the environment.
What is a POD?
A POD is a storage container that vacuum seals your food by using a pump to remove the air in the container through a valve in the lid.
How does it work?
Air is the enemy of fresh food. Oxygen and moisture in the air cause food to degrade over time, meaning that food loses flavour, texture and nutritional value.
Using a pump to remove the air will mean that your food will last longer.
What sort of foods should be kept in a POD?
Any sorts of food can be stored in the POD, but it will be particularly useful for:
- Leftovers – give yourself a few extra days to eat those leftovers by keeping them in a POD.
- Avocados – cut avocados won’t go brown as fast if they are stored in a POD.
- Carrots – our research shows that the best way to store carrots to stop them going limp and black is to keep them in an airtight container lined with a paper towel. A POD is perfect for this.
- Salad greens – store salad greens like spinach, mesclun and kale in the PODS to prevent them from going limp and slimy.
- Anything that is going to be frozen – PODS are freezer safe and will stop your food getting freezer burn.
- Baking, biscuits, crackers, chips – anything that could go stale will stay fresh in a POD.
Other reasons we love the PODs:
- They are transparent so you can easily see what is in them
- They’re freezer and dishwasher safe
- They are made from a shatter resistant and BPA free plastic so these are designed to last – this is definitely not a single-use plastic product
- And when it does reach the end of its life, it can be recycled
How do I collect PODs?
Collect a sticker with every $20 you spend between Monday 03 September and Sunday 14 October at any New World supermarket and redeem them for your New World PODs.