Sweet As Meal in a Mug
If you’ve got hungry mouths to feed, this recipe is for you. Sweet and satisfying, your kids can whip up this meal in a mug in a matter of minutes, using whatever you have in the pantry.
Don’t lose track while you’re cooking, click on an ingredient or step to tick it off so you know where you are up to.
- 1 egg
- ¼ cup milk
- ½ teaspoon sugar (or honey, maple syrup or golden syrup)
- ½ teaspoon vanilla essence (optional)
- 2 slices bread
- 2 tablespoons spread of your choice (jam, peanut butter, Nutella, honey etc)
- 1 tablespoon optional add ins: Chocolate chips, sliced banana, berries, nuts etc
- Ice cream, yoghurt or whipped cream, to serve (optional)
Print This Recipe
- Spread the jam (or other spread) on both slices of bread, then cut each slice into nine squares.
- Break the egg into a mug, then add the milk, sugar and vanilla. Beat well with a fork.
- Place the bread pieces in the mug and push it down until it is covered with the sweet egg and milk mixture. If using optional extras, sprinkle them in between the layers of bread.
- Microwave for one minute and 30 seconds. If it looks too soft or is too runny at the bottom, microwave for another 30 seconds.
- Eat as is, or top with ice cream, yoghurt, or your favourite sweet sauce.
Search for a recipe
Commonly wasted ingredients